Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Quaker Parrots of East Boston

This year, I will be posting from time to time about the Parrots of East Boston.  The birds are called Quaker Parrots.  The first time I saw them I was so sure that someone had just opened their window and let pet birds fly out.  I was so mad, I called the local news people to come out and do a news story on them.  I was told to contact the local bird rescue people in RI, which I did.  I then got my first education about the Quaker Parrots.  They were not pet birds, but wild birds.  This is the nest our birds have built.  Last year, the pair had a successful hatch of two babies.  Over the past winter, I have only seen 3 of the birds surviving.  These birds first showed up in the Fall of 2009, and as you can imagine, have caused quite the stir.  Here is their nest.  In time, I will try to get a picture of the birds, but with the little hand held camera I have, not sure it will be possible.  They do not stay still for very long.



No comments: